Year 6 Gallery
Topic 1 - World War 2The first topic we will be studying is World War 2.
Topic 2 - World War OneTo coincide with remembrance day we briefly study WW1 after autumn half term up until Remembrance Day. We explore War Poetry including Flanders Fields by John McCrae and write a story based on the Christmas Day Truce.
Topic 3 - A Christmas Carol: a look at Victorian Life and CustomsA new topic for Y6- A Christmas Carol: a look Victorian Life and Customs. This will run from November to Christmas. The class read Dickens' classic novella A Christmas Carol and learn about:
- the customs and traditions of Christmas in other times and other cultures;
- the structure of Dickens' stories and how he uses description, dialogue and action to create characters;
- lives of the rich and poor in Victorian Britain;
- events during the reign of our 2nd longest reigning monarch.
Topic 4 - ElectricityOur fourth topic, which begins in January and ends at the end of February is all about Electricity.
Topic 5 - The HighwaymanThe Highwayman is an exciting topic for Year 6 because along with all of the Literacy work we do with the poem we also design and build sets and models to make a stop-motion animation with soundtrack.
Topic 6 - MountainsAt the end of Y6 the class study mountains. In geography they learn:
- World Mountain ranges;
- European Mountains;
- UK Mountains;
- How to read 4 and 6 figure grid references;
- How to use a compass.
- Mallory & Irvine's and Hillary & Tenzing's attempts to conquer Everest;
- Factual accounts about mountains;
- A story about a climbing disaster.